Homemade pizza is a family favorite at our house. Last Friday night, my brother’s family was planning on stopping by for a visit, so we asked them to join us for dinner. Trying to consider the food preferences of kids ranging in age from 21 months to almost 13 years old, pizza sounded like the winner.
For the kids and my finicky “little” brother, we made a few plain and pepperoni pizzas. However, for the more adventurous eaters we made Barbecue Chicken Pizza. This pizza is packed with flavor but is extremely easy to make. To make the recipe even easier on a workday, I used store-bought pizza dough.
As I didn’t want the pizza to be too spicy, I used two different barbecue sauces to produce a slightly sweet sauce that had a little bit of a bite. However, if you prefer a sauce that is sweet, just eliminate the hot barbecue sauce, and use more pineapple barbecue sauce, if needed.
The adventurous eaters in our group (my husband, my sister-in-law, and I) all thought it was a great pizza. With a little spice in the sauce, a handful of tastes from the blue cheese and onion, and melted goodness from the mozzarella, it was a delicious pizza choice.
- 1-14 oz. bottle pineapple barbecue sauce
- 1-14 oz. bottle hot barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 2″ chunks
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- blue cheese
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour pineapple barbecue sauce into medium sized pot. Stir in 1/2-cup hot barbecue sauce, and taste to check spiciness. Add more hot barbecue sauce if desired.
- Add diced chicken, stir well, and place over low heat. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 hours. Set dough on counter to warm to room temperature.
- When chicken has cooked for several hours, use two forks, and shred chicken into smaller pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450. Divide dough into two sections. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Place dough on pizza pan. Using a slotted spoon, cover dough with half of the chicken. Add as much additional sauce as you like.
- Sprinkle half of the red onion and your desired amount of blue cheese on the pizza. Top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat directions with other half of ingredients.
- Place both in oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Crust should be golden brown, and topping should be melted and golden when done.