Continuing on our quest for wondrous winter squash, we just can’t help but share another enticing dish based on our best bet butternut squash. This week our succulent recipe – Butternut Squash Succotash – comes from our friends at Fairview Inn in Jackson, MS. Not only is this beautiful inn the city’s only Four Diamond Bed & Breakfast, but it also features 17 unique rooms in an elegant 1908 Colonial Revival Mansion and all of the full-service amenities of a small luxury hotel, including a spa, game room, gorgeous gardens and a tranquil setting. In addition, delectable dining and drinks are available onsite. At the California-inspired and Southern-rooted 1908 Provisions Restaurant, guests indulge in an unforgettable gourmet experience during dinner service Monday through Friday as well as Sunday brunch, while innovative craft cocktails, micro-brewery draught & bottled beer, fine wines, delicious small plate hot & cold appetizers and entertainment can be enjoyed at The Library Lounge bar.
If you want to try another butternut squash recipe at home, these Shredded Butternut Squash Cakes make a perfect dinner side dish or brunch option.
- 2 oz. apple smoked bacon, diced
- 2 ears yellow corn, shaved and milked
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1 cup butter beans
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled & diced medium
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 oz. white wine
- 4 oz. chicken stock
- 1 Tb. fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme, and parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Cook bacon over low heat, until there’s a little color.
- Add the next 6 ingredients and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add white wine, let reduce until almost gone.
- Add stock; reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add herbs with salt and pepper.