Being a semi-single girl (being that the boyfriend is otherwise busy), it seemed like a good night to invite my best friend over for food, chatting, and movies. I wanted to make a munchy that would stay warm through an evening of conversation, be easy to prepare whenever we decided we were ready to eat, and be a finger food that would allow us to nibble at it.
Seeing that my friend and I often like to order espinaca or con queso appetizers when we go out for the evening, I decided to try my hand at a homemade espinaca. I knew I could prepare it quickly and place it in a fondue pot or mini-crockpot to keep it warm throughout the evening. I also planned on serving a pineapple salsa with the chips, as my friend often has a craving for salty and sweet. Two different dips, chips, and some beverages and we would be set for our girls’ night. Let the fun begin!
- 1-1/2 lb. block American cheese (from the deli), cubed
- 1/2 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 4 oz. can diced chiles, drained*
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- Place cubed cheese in a medium-sized pot and add 1 tablespoon milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- While stirring add spinach, chiles, onion, and tomato.
- Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed for desired consistency.
- Place in fondue pot or mini-crockpot to keep warm.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- *Additional chiles or jalapenos can be added for more spice.