In case you aren’t a regular Think Tasty reader, you may not realize that I have a seasonal fixation with butternut squash. Actually, it’s a two season fixation, and if it’s a cold spring, it can seep into a third. I love eating butternut squash in cooler weather. It is hearty, has great flavor, and is so versatile. After cooking the squash, I have many lunches just waiting to be made. (If I don’t share it with my family). Seeing that I can eat squash weekly, I don’t have to share all that often. For reasons I don’t understand, my family doesn’t want squash that often.
For my lunches, on a day with limited time, I simply spoon a bunch of squash into a bowl, mix in some dried cranberries, and heat the dish in the microwave. Insto, presto, lunch is ready! However, if I have ten extra minutes, I like to transform the squash from a plain veggie dish into a soup. Those ten minutes include prep, heating, and cleanup time. This soup really is that easy.
If this sweeter soup isn’t your thing, be sure to return next Monday for the savory version. Or if you’re like me and have a week’s worth of squash to eat and want some variety, I would suggest you return also.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup cooked butternut squash
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1-2 Tb. dried cranberries
- salt & pepper, if desired
- Pour broth and squash into blender. Purée until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a soup bowl.
- Add cinnamon, brown sugar, and cranberries. Stir well.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and heat for an additional minute. If necessary, continue to heat in 30 second increments until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
[…] bowl of slightly sweet butternut squash soup from Think […]